Thursday, November 5, 2009

More Like Octo-blur

I love me some October. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who enjoys Halloween, or really all fall activities, as much as I do. But as much as I enjoy it, by November 1 I am usually wiped out.
For the past few years, I've been helping to coordinate and run a haunted house through my church. Wait, don't think that it's one of those "We'll scare you straight into the arms of Jesus" haunted houses, full of burning gays, botched abortions and the like.
We're an actual just-for-fun, fundraising haunted house. With *real* haunted house things, like mazes and dark rooms and pop-outs, oh my!
A lot of people are surprised that we do this, but we're a pretty liberal group, and all of the money raised goes to missions in Kentucky and Honduras. Plus, there's a bunch of repressed theater folk, and whenever we repressed theater folk come together, magic happens.
So, prep for the haunted house usually starts in July or August, with a meeting to pick a theme and start throwing around ideas for a script, which I then write up for our first September meeting. After that, it seems like mere hours later it's Halloween, and we've spent weeks building and creating and costuming and writing. But it's always a blast.
So, long story short, I've been a bit, uh, absent in my blogging, but truthfully, I doubt anyone has noticed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment