Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The one where I relearn a skill every kindergartener has...

Do you remember the episode of Friends where Ross finds out Phoebe never learned how to ride a bike, so he buys her one and tries to teach her, with comically disastrous results? What, like every adult just *knows* how to ride a bike?

So...in an attempt to get fit, get fresh air and have more o' that coupley-quality time that we lurve so much, the Hubbs purchased me (used, from Craigslist) a fabulous hot-pink mountain bike. I went with him to pick it up, but refused to test it out. "You do it," I told him, "since you know so much more about them," (do I know how to stroke an ego, or what?).

He sees, he likes, we pack it up and get in the car to head home. Halfway through rocking out to "Hotel California" (which might be one of the greatest songs OF. ALL.TIME), he turns the radio down (bad move, mister).

Hubbs: So, why didn't you try it out? It's yours, you know. You can ride it.
Me: Oh, you know, I don't really know much about breaks and gears...
H: Um, do you know how to ride a bike?
M: Of course I do? Who doesn't know...okay, maybe I haven't been on a bike in 17 years. And maybe I've never been on a mountain bike. And maybe the only place I was ever allowed to ride is up and down the sidewalk in front of my parents' house, so I've never really been able to "ride" ride, per se...
H: *laughter* You are going to fall on your butt in front of all the kidlets in the neighborhood and they are going to laugh at you. This is going to be great.

And that's the supportive relationship I'm in. The bike, by the way, has been sitting in the garage for a week, just waiting for me to hop on...

No comments:

Post a Comment